Friday, February 19, 2010

Our First Lady

Just today, I was reading an article that I thought was going to be about Michelle Obama's view on childhood obesity. However, as the article continued, I learned that it was actually more about the percerption that the public has of her. The whole reason that I read this article was to give me insight on to some of the things that Mrs. Obama is passionate about. I haven't really heard of anything that she has taken a definite stand on in this past year. This made me curious so I googled her to find relative articles about her views. I thought that the childhood obesity one would be the most compelling.

As I read the article, I noticed that there really wasn't anything about her stand on this topic. She just basically pointed out that it was a problem because, for the first time in our Nations history, children's lives are shorter than their parents. I thought that this would be a great topic to hear some of her thoughts. However, the reporter seemed to shy away from any insight that Mrs. Obama may have held. This reporter then went on to tell her of how she was on Maxims list of attractive women.

I was bewildered. Why didn't the reporter ask more questions about her stand, instead of irrelevant facts? I just think this goes to show you how sideways our media is. Instead of caring about the real stuff, like what our First Lady believes in, we are more worried about what games they play over supper in the White House. Does anyone else find this as crazy as I do? Who cares what she stands for as long as she has cute stories about her and her family...

1 comment:

  1. That might speak more to the abilities of the reporter. That's obviously some very shallow reporting there. If you want to do a public relations piece, then so be it, but don't make pretenses about addressing specific subject matter and then brushing it aside.

    The media in general seem to want serve up trivialities to the general public. Maybe many people don't care about her views on childhood obesity. Maybe the average person is more interested in knowing what kind of make-up she uses. That, anyway, is what the media seem to think.

    ReplyDelete